What is Alabama Giving?
Alabama Giving is an association of grantmaking organizations that works to increase, promote, and encourage philanthropy by helping its members share knowledge, collaborate and advocate to improve conditions in Alabama.
- Increase philanthropy in Alabama
- Increase the state's funds available for grantmaking
- Promote all options for giving - volunteerism, donor advised funds, private foundations, community foundations, corporate giving programs
- Encourage the creation of new grantmaking assets and ways to give
- Increase the number of business and corporate participants in philanthropic endeavors
- Develop philanthropic resources in rural areas of the state (public and private foundation representation)
- Train and mobilize professionals who provide financial and legal planning advice to potential donors
- Communicate the value and importance of philanthropy in Alabama
- Encourage collaboration within and between philanthropic organizations and nonprofits
- Strengthen foundations and nonprofits across the state
History of Alabama Giving
In 2001, a group of foundations from across Alabama officially joined together as the Alabama Funders Forum. The following year, Alabama Funders Forum, funded by its members and a four-year grant from New Ventures in Philanthropy, a national initiative of the Forum of Regional Association of Grantmakers, took its first steps toward increasing philanthropy in our state, and Alabama Giving was formed. Since its inception, Alabama Giving membership has grown to over thirty private, corporate, and community foundations from across the state. Members meet three times per year to share information about philanthropy, discuss opportunities for collaboration, and identify challenges and issues facing our organizations and our state.